Thursday, May 26, 2011

High School Graduation & the Genealogy of Jesus & Parents (Part 1)


Graduation From High School & Genealogy of Jesus and Parents (Part 1)

The seniors in high school have finished school. Done. They say – finally! Parents say – already? This is what I have come to realize: as the years progress, something unimaginable develops in the brain of a person: time begins to move fast.

When I was young, time seemed to stand still. I was never old enough for that or tall enough to ride that. “I can’t wait until….” was a common launching pad for a statement. This has been replaced with “I remember when…”.

Time Flies.

This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David.

David was the father of Solomon, whose mother had been Uriah’s wife, Solomon the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, Abijah the father of Asa, Asa the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Jehoram, Jehoram the father of Uzziah, Uzziah the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, Ahaz the father of Hezekiah, Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, Amon the father of Josiah, and Josiah the father of Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.

After the exile to Babylon: Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel, Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel, Zerubbabel the father of Abiud, Abiud the father of Eliakim, Eliakim the father of Azor, Azor the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Akim, Akim the father of Eliud, Eliud the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, Matthan the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus who is called the Messiah. ~ Matthew 1: 1-16


Have you ever read that and wondered…what is the take away? It says that all scripture is useful for teaching, but even this one??? This is what I realized as I read it this morning – Time Flies!

God is emphasizing more than just the genealogy of Jesus. What you do now matters tomorrow. Lesson for parents: in short period of time, your child will grow up and move out and what will they take away from you?


So many parents look back with regrets:
  • Oh I wish that I had prioritized that.
  • Why didn’t we encourage that?
  • What if we had been more involved?
  • I would do things different.


Time Flies.

The good news is that your influence does not have to fly away with time.                  

3 comments:

  1. Ok, seriously somebody needs to teach Jordan how to hold a hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie looks very hooooooootttttt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordie...watch Molly - she know's how to hold a hammer

    ReplyDelete